It’s understandable to feel overwhelmed when someone passes away—especially when it’s your responsibility to make the arrangements. Call Advent anytime at 703-241-7402 or 301-577-7787. We’ll answer your questions, provide honest advice, and help you create a memorable, meaningful service.
In the meantime, here are some guidelines to help you plan:
1) Decide on the type of tribute you want to have. Some questions to consider:
- Will it be only for immediate family, or open to all family and friends?
- Do you want the mood of this celebration of life to be traditional or contemporary?
- Where would you like to have the service—at a chapel, church, or other meaningful venue?
- Do you want a visitation or gathering so friends and family can offer their support?
- Do you want to share pictures or videos?
- Do you want a funeral service or a memorial service?
- Who will conduct and who will speak at the service?
2) Decide on cremation or burial. Some questions to consider:
- What cemetery do you want to use?
- If you choose cremation, what do you want to do with the cremated remains? Will you scatter or bury them?
3) Decide how you can make it special. A funeral or memorial service is a useful form of closure for families. It puts the punctuation mark at the end of a chapter and helps turn the page toward a new beginning for those left behind.
Established customs and traditions are valuable because they offer a framework through which friends can support you and your family as you adjust to this loss. Be sure to communicate the personality, accomplishments, and values of the person remembered. Celebrate their life and what you loved about them.
Advent is here to help you plan your remembrance down to the last detail. Call us at 703-241-7402 or 301-577-7787 and let us know how we make the day special for you and your family.