Benefits Information

Who to Contact for Benefits? Besides financial institutions, insurance companies and the like, it is important to get in touch with the Social Security Administration, Veterans Administration (if applicable) and your jurisdiction’s Probate and Will Registration offices.

Social Security Benefits

For benefits information, visit the Social Security Administration’s website.

The Social Security Administration has a toll-free number that operates from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday: 1-800-772-1213. If you have a touch-tone phone, recorded information and services are available 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call their toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday. Please have your Social Security number handy when you call.

Veteran’s Benefits

Benefits from the Veterans Administration may be available to help defray funeral and cemetery expenses. For detailed information about benefits, including Military Funeral Honors, please visit the United States Department of Veterans Affairs website or call 1-800-827-1000.

Be ready to provide the following information:

• Branch of service

• Highest rank

• Service number

• Date and place of entry into military service

• Date and place of discharge from military service

Your funeral director can help you complete all the necessary applications.

Click here to learn more about Veteran’s Benefits.

Arlington National Cemetery

It is a privilege to qualify for memorialization in our nation’s most honored cemetery. Due to space limitations, the credentials necessary for ground burial are more restrictive today than they were in the past. If armed services personnel or their dependents die while on active duty, they are eligible. Retired military officers, Purple Heart, Congressional Medal of Honor or Presidential Order recipients, people with certain disabilities, and their spouses may also be accepted.

For those who don’t qualify for ground burial, the columbarium at Arlington is available. Any honorably discharged veteran who chooses cremation may have his or her urn placed in the columbarium.

Click here to learn more about Arlington National Cemetery.

Probate and Will Registration Offices

Anne Arundel County

Calvert County

Montgomery County

Prince George’s County

Alexandria City

Arlington County

Fairfax County

Loudoun County

Prince William County

District of Columbia

Comments are closed.